Packing up your home or apartment can take weeks, but you can save time by making sure that each item is stored properly in the correct box for a specific room. Organization is essential when packing up your valuables. Check out these moving mistakes and how to avoid them while packing:
- Not packing early. Spread out and lessen your stress by packing nonessential items first. By starting to pack early, you’ll have ample time to go through what you want to keep and what to give away. Also think about selling items of furniture or clothing to score some extNra cash before moving rather than just giving away pieces that you could get money for. Or if you aren’t concerned about extra cash, throw a going-away party to see if any of your friends or family want any of your furniture or other knick-knacks.
- Not hiring movers if you have the money. Call with enough advance notice to see if movers are available with the company that you want to use. If they aren’t, then you’ll have time to shop around at different moving companies.
- Not taking time off work to make sure that the move goes smoothly as well as to fully move in. Take off the time you need in order to avoid last-minute stress.
- Running out of boxes. Get more boxes than you think you’ll need to avoid having to run an extra errand to get more boxes.
- Not labeling boxes with their contents and where the boxes should go in your new house or apartment. Color-code boxes with colored tape for room locations because post-its sometimes fall off.
- Packing away necessities. While packing, set aside one box for all the necessities you’ll need first thing, like bedding, toiletries, chargers, and a single set of dining ware.
- Moving in with dirty sheets. If your friends offer to help you move and ask what they can do to best help, ask them to launder mattress pads, sheets, and blankets early the day of moving. That way when you move into your new home or apartment, you’ll have fresh linens to make up the beds.
- Not renting a storage unit. It’s a good idea to rent a unit to store all the nonessential items you pack before the big move.
For more helpful tips on moving and packing, visit our website at www.greatvaluestorage.com or call 512.327.3300.